The Yankees, who finished with a 99-63 record, fire Yogi Berra after the team drops the World Series to the Cardinals in seven games. The 39 year-old dismissed skipper will join the crosstown Mets as a coach, becoming team’s the manager in 1972, following Gil Hodges’ unexpected death in spring training.
Cincinnati Reds fire long-time manager Sparky Anderson, who had led the team to five division titles, four pennants, and two World Championships.
November 28, 1978
January 14, 1981
Chicago Cubs coach Ernie Banks becomes the first African American to manage during a major league game
May 8, 1973
November 2, 1927
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Plate Create $45.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10