On August 8, 1893 — 1893 – Sam Dungan of Pittsburgh starts the game against Chicago by scoring from first base as George Van Haltren’s wild throw rolls into a rat hole under the grandstand. Pittsburgh finishes up by scoring 5 runs in the top of the 9th and hanging on for a 9 – 8 win.
Ubaldo Jimenez gives up no hits over the first five innings but then runs into trouble, giving up 4 runs to the Padres in the 6th. The Rockies’ offense bails him out, however, with four home runs and 10 runs and he registers his major league-leading 14th win; his ERA has risen from 1.16 to 1.83 after his last two mediocre starts, though.
June 28, 2010
1995 – The Devil Rays name Braves assistant general manager Chuck LaMar as the franchise’s first general manager.
August 19, 1995
1971 – Trailing 3-2 to Los Angeles, and with the bases full, Cesar Cedeno bloops a pitch off Claude Osteen into shallow right field. Bill Buckner and Jim Lefebvre collide while trying to catch the ball and it trickles into the corner. By the time the ball is retrieved, Cedeno has a 170-ft. inside-the-park grand slam to highlight a 9-3 victory.
October 15, 2019
During oral arguments in front of the U.S. Supreme Court, Potter Stewart is handed a note with the startling news that Vice President Agnew had just resigned. The message also informs the glum Republican Justice, a big Reds fan, that the Mets are ahead of Cincinnati in the NLCS, 2-0.
October 10, 1973
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- What Shift? hit 'em where they ain't $13.50 – $19.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- Legends of Baseball - Aaron to Ozzie
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00