On February 15 1946 — 1946 – Detroit’s Hank Greenberg signs for $60,000 and then marries New York department store heiress Carol Gimbel three days later.
Masahiro Yamamoto becomes the oldest pitcher to win a start in Nippon Pro Baseball. At age 46 years, 8 months and 4 days, he breaks Shinji Hamazaki’s 54-year-old record by just four days. Yamamoto tosses eight shutout innings in a 3 – 0 win over the Hanshin Tigers and Minoru Iwata before Hitoki Iwase completes the shutout in the 9th.
April 15, 2012
Sammy Sosa hits three home runs in consecutive at bats in the third, fourth, and fifth innings, tying a Cubs’ record with nine RBIs, established by Heinie Zimmerman in 1911. With his sixth career three-homer game performance, the Chicago right fielder also ties the major league record set by Johnny Mize and becomes only the fifth player in big league history to homer in three straight innings.
August 10, 2002
At Camden Yards, Troy Glaus becomes the fastest Angel player to reach the 100 career home run mark. The Halos’ third baseman hits a pair of home runs in the team’s 6-5 ten-inning victory over Baltimore.
July 21, 2001
1911 – In the nightcap of a game billed as a pitchers’ duel, Boston’s Cy Young and the Giants’ Christy Mathewson face each other before 10,000, Boston’s largest crowd of the year. Young gives up three homers and nine runs in less than three innings. After the Giants build a 9 – 0 lead, John McGraw lifts Mathewson, who pitched just two innings, preferring to save his ace for the pennant race against Chicago and Philadelphia. This is the only time the two pitchers ever face each other. Mathewson adds to New York’s scoring in the 3rd by swiping home. The Giants coast, 11 – 2. In the field, Matty also helps when, with Doc Miller on first base in the 2nd inning, a line drive to center by Hank Gowdy results in a double play (8-4-1-3). New York wins the first game, 9 – 3, and now lead the Cubs by two games.
September 12, 1911
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world seriesOn October 3, 1947, in the 1947 World Series @ Ebbets Field - Cookie Lavagetto of the Brooklyn Dodgers breaks up Bill Bevens’ no-hit bid with two outs in the ninth, Lavagetto pinch-hitting for Eddie Stanky, hits a two-out ninth-inning double giving the “Bums” a dramatic and unlikely 3-2 win over the New York Yankees […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971On June 2, 1971, this clip was Originally aired of Vida Blue of the Oakland A’s was in the midst of setting the baseball world on its ear when this story aired. Interviews with Blue’s mother is included as are clips of him pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Royals manager Bob Lemon and first […]
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of FameOn January 23 1962 -- Pitcher Bob Feller and infielder Jackie Robinson are elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America in their first year of eligibility. Jackie Robinson burst onto the scene in 1947, breaking baseball's color barrier and bringing the Negro leagues' electrifying style of play to the Majors. He quickly became baseball's top drawing card and a […]
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715On January 22 2021 At age 86 Hank Aaron passes away. Aaron is one of the most respected players in baseball history and on April 8 1974 he broke Babe ruth's home record. Here is the call by Vin Scully.
- New York Mets Clinch the Division TitleIn the inaugural season of divisional play, the Mets clinch the first-ever National League East title. Gary Gentry fires a four-hitter, blanking the Cardinals, 6-0, in front of a frenzied Shea Stadium crowd, which spills onto the field en masse after the game to celebrate their team's amazing accomplishment. More information about todays events, players, […]
- 1937 All Star Game Dizzy Dean takes one on the toeMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Sonny Siebert fires no hitter June 10 1966 Full Radio BroadcastOn June 10, 1966 At Cleveland Stadium Sonny Siebert pitches a no-hitter against the Washington Senators and Leon Wagner homers off loser Phil Ortega as first-place Cleveland wins, 2 – 0. The right-hander strikes out seven batters, walking only one, in his Cleveland Stadium gem. It will be the only No Hitter of the season. More information about todays events, players, ball park, date and […]
- Vin Scully on the Call May 14 1957 Dodgers vs BravesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - www.thisdayinbaseball.com Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Willie Mays Makes The Catch Game 1 1954 World SeriesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of t More information about todays events, players, ball park, date […]
- Lefty Gomez pitches the Yankess to the 1936 World TitleOctober 6, 1936 Yankees at Giants World Series Game 6 The Giants loaded the bases in the first off Lefty Gomez on a single and two walks before Mel Ott drove in two with a double, but Jake Powell's home-run after a two-out triple off Freddie Fitzsimmons tied the game in the second. Next inning, […]
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world series January 27, 2021
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971 January 24, 2021
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of Fame January 24, 2021
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715 January 22, 2021
- New York Mets Clinch the Division Title January 19, 2021
- Waite Hoyt on Babe Ruth January 17, 2021
- Ted Williams homers off Jack Fisher @ Fenway in his last at bat January 17, 2021
- Joe DiMaggio makes the defensive play of the game 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Ernie Banks hits 500th Homerun January 17, 2021
- Lou Gehrig Takes Dizzy Dean Deep 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
active 14 hours, 58 minutes ago
active 1 day, 4 hours ago
active 1 week, 6 days ago
active 1 month, 1 week ago
active 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson is named American League Rookie of the Year
- The Cubs fire their ball girl, Marla Collins, when it is revealed that she posed nude for Playboy magazine
- This Day In Baseball November
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Bob Gibson suffers a broken leg
- Boston Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn becomes the first rookie ever to be named American League Most Valuable Player
- This Day In Baseball November 26
- Steve Garvey and Don Sutton fight at Shea before a 5-4 Dodger victory
- The Boston Red Sox hire 28-year-old Theo Epstein as their new general manager
- New York Giants debut new purple plaid uniforms
- Yankees hold Joe DiMaggio Day at Yankee Stadium