On August 10, 1947 — 1947 – With five hits, Stan Musial finally lifts his average over .300, and the Cardinals make a run at the Dodgers, sweeping the Pirates, 5 – 0 and 7 – 5. Murry Dickson allows four hits in the shutout. Musial will finish at .312, and the Cards, five games back of Brooklyn.
About The Author
1948 – Commissioner Happy Chandler fines the Yankees, Cubs and Phillies $500 each for signing high school players.
January 29, 1948
Alex Rodriguez homers for the 5th straight game to pace the Mariners to a 7 – 5 win over Toronto. He’ll go homerless tomorrow.
August 16, 1999
Willie Wilson hits his 5th inside-the-park homer this season in a 6 – 3 loss to Seattle at Kansas City. It is the most inside-the-park homers hit in a season since Kiki Cuyler hit eight for the Pirates in 1925.
September 16, 1979
1927 – Willie “Pigmeat” Powell of the Chicago American Giants pitches a no-hitter against the Memphis Red Sox, winning, 5 – 0. It is the third no-hitter so far this year in the Negro Leagues. Two more near no-hitters will be thrown later this year, one broken up in extra innings and another shortened by darkness to seven innings.
August 14, 1927
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- County Stadium 1970 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Milwaukee Brewers & Braves $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00