On August 12, 1961 — 1961 – At Griffith Stadium‚ Roger Maris belts his 43rd homer‚ off Dick Donovan‚ but it’s New York’s only score as they lose‚ 5 – 1‚ the Yanks’ first loss in 10 games. For Washington, it is their first win in 8 games. Gene Green’s pinch grand slam off Luis Arroyo is the big blow for the Nats.
It’s a busy day on the trading block for the Mets as they send popular outfielder Mookie Wilson to the Blue Jays for pitcher Jeff Musselman and minor leaguer Michael Brady. New York also gets Frank Viola from the Twins for pitchers Rick Aguilera, David West, and Kevin Tapani and two minor leaguers.
August 20, 1989
1920 – Shaken by the possible effects of the scandal surrounding baseball, club owners begin a series of meetings to reform the game. Albert D. Lasker, a Chicago advertising man and minority stockholder, of the Cubs, proposes a 3-man board of non-baseball men, with the chairman to be paid $25,000 year. Among the names mentioned: Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis, former president William Howard Taft, General George Pershing, Senator Hiram Johnson, General Leonard Wood, and ex-treasury secretary William McAdoo.
September 2, 1920
Jackie Jensen (.286, 35, 122), breaking New York’s four-year stronghold on the award, is selected as the American League Most Valuable Player. The outcome is unexpected as the Red Sox fleet outfielder played on a non-contender, unlike runner-up Bob Turley, who pitched for the World Champion Yankees.
December 20, 1958
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Forbes Field 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- Anaheim Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Los Angeles Angels $18.00