May 28, 1998 At Candlestick Park In the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and his team leading the Giants 8-6, Diamondbacks’ manager Buck Showalter orders that Barry Bonds be intentionally walked with the bases loaded by reliever Gregg Olson. The free pass works when the next batter, Brent Mayne, lines outs to deep center field, giving Arizona an 8-7 victory at Candlestick Park.
Chicago Cubs outfielder Andre Dawson breaks Roger Maris’ intentional walk record when he receives five intentional free passes from the Cincinnati Reds
May 22, 1990
1929 – New York Giants Mel Ott and Chuck Klein of the Philadelphia Phillies go into a head-to-head doubleheader tied at 42 home runs apiece. In the opener, Klein homers for the Phillies off Carl Hubbell in his first at-bat to take the home run lead. In the nightcap, Phillies pitchers intentionally walk Ott five times rather than give him a chance to tie Klein. The last walk comes with the bases loaded. Lefty O’Doul of the Phillies has six hits on the day for a National League season-record of 254 hits.
October 5, 1929
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Exhibition Stadium 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Toronto Blue Jays $18.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95