On February 6 2001 — 2001 – Anaheim Angels first baseman Mo Vaughn undergoes surgery to repair a ruptured biceps tendon in his left arm. Vaughn will miss the entire season.
In Philadelphia, the Yankees and the Athletics continue the home run barrage as the Yankees take both games of a second straight doubleheader, 10 – 1 and 20 – 13. Babe Ruth hits a pair of home runs in the opener, as does Ben Chapman and winning pitcher George Pipgras. The Yanks score nine runs in the first two innings of the second game, but the A’s come back to tie it at 12 apiece. The Yanks win the assault, 20 – 13, as Tony Lazzeri is 4 for 4, scores five runs, and knocks in 4. Ruth hits another in the second game, while Lou Gehrig powers three round trippers to drive in eight runs. On the A’s side, Jimmie Foxx has two homers to drive in six runs. For the afternoon, the teams combine to hit 14 round trippers, a then-record 10 in the nitecap.
May 22, 1930
The Dodgers obtain OF Chad Curtis from the Tigers in exchange for pitchers Joey Eischen and John Cummings. Curtis will lead off in place of the cancer-stricken Brett Butler.
July 31, 1996
August 15, 1975
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- Shibe Park 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Philadelphia A's $18.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- Busch Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00