On July 3, 1917 After managing for five games, Honus Wagner resigns as manager. Czech born Hugo Bezdek is named as his replacement, his qualifications include being the football coach at Penn State.
Breaking his own record set a week later during last season, John Smoltz becomes the fastest pitcher to record 40 saves. The Braves’ closer throws a scoreless ninth in the team’s 7-4 victory over the Astros to establish the new mark.
July 31, 2003
The Chicago Cubs agree on a five-year contract with Theo Epstein to be their new team President. Epstein built the Boston Red Sox team that won two World Series in 2004 and 2007, but was shaken by the team’s brutal September collapse this season, following manager Terry Francona’s departure by a few days. The deal won’t be made official for another two weeks, and Boston and Chicago will need to agree on compensation as Epstein still has a year to go on his contract.
October 12, 2011
Vic Raschi gives up only one hit as the Yankees rout the Tigers, 11 – 1, in the first game of a doubleheader.
July 13, 1952
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- What Shift? hit 'em where they ain't $13.50 – $19.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Dave Parker Special $13.50 – $19.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47