On July 3, 1917 After managing for five games, Honus Wagner resigns as manager. Czech born Hugo Bezdek is named as his replacement, his qualifications include being the football coach at Penn State.
Refusing to part with Triple-A third baseman Scott Cooper to get Larry Andersen from the Astros for the stretch run, Red Sox general manager Lou Gorman trades the Eastern League’s MVP, Jeff Bagwell, for the right-handed relief pitcher. The University of Hartford standout will go on to win the National League Rookie of the Year Award in 1991 and will becomes the league’s MVP the same year Andersen retires from the Phillies (1994) .
August 31, 1990
Davey Johnson is hired to manage the second-place Dodgers, taking over the reins from Bill Russell. The former Mets, Reds, and Orioles skipper, who has finished first with every team he has ever led, will see his streak end in LA when he compiles a 163- 161 (.503) record.
October 23, 1998
April 1, 1939
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Crosley Field 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Cincinnati Reds $18.00
- Braves Field 1915 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Boston Braves $18.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00