On June 26, 1961 * At Los Angeles’s Wrigley Field, Angel reliever Art Fowler, who has allowed just one hit in his last 12 innings, serves up a 9th-inning home run to Bill Skowron as New York wins, 8 – 6. Mickey Mantle adds an earlier homer, off Ken McBride, and Whitey Ford wins his 13th. Yogi Berra collects his 2,000th career hit, all as a Bronx Bomber. To celebrate the achievement a huge cake is rolled out.
In front of a crowd of 55,707, Don Mattingly’s uniform number 23 is added to the list of retired numbers on the wall at Yankee Stadium’s Monument Park.
August 31, 1997
The Cleveland Indians’ power hitters dazzle the New York Yankees with a triple steal in the 1st inning as Al Rosen scores, Larry Doby goes to third, and Luke Easter, in his only major-league theft, goes to second.
July 15, 1952
The Dodgers’ Jerry Reuss pitches his second one-hitter of the season‚ allowing a leadoff double to the Reds’ Eddie Milner in the first inning‚ then retiring the next 27 batters for an 11 – 1 victory. It is the second time in his career that Reuss has missed a perfect game by one batter.
June 11, 1982
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Fenway Park 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Boston Red Sox $18.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Anaheim Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Los Angeles Angels $18.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00