On March 2, 1966, Commissioner Spike Eckert voids the contract recently signed by collegiate star Tom Seaver. The Atlanta Braves had signed Seaver to a $50,000 bonus a week earlier, but Eckert cites a rule prohibiting teams from signing players while their college seasons are ongoing.
1930 – Brooklyn’s collapse begins. The Cardinals tie for first place when Bill Hallahan outduels Dazzy Vance, 1 – 0, in 10 innings. Flint Rhem returns to the Cardinals with an improbable story that he was kidnapped by gamblers and forced to drink bootleg whiskey.
September 16, 1930
1906 – The Chicago White Sox jump on the Chicago Cubs’ Three Finger Brown for seven runs in the first two innings and coast behind Doc White to a 7 – 1 World Series-ending victory. The losers share of $439.50 for the Cubs is the lowest ever.
October 14, 1906
2001 – New York Yankees pitcher Roger Clemens, who posted a 20-3 record with 213 strikeouts and a 3.51 ERA, wins the American League Cy Young Award for an unprecedented sixth time. Previously, Clemens captured the award with the Red Sox in 1986, 1987 and 1991, and the Blue Jays in 1997 and 1998. He becomes the first Yankees pitcher to win the award since 1978 when Ron Guidry copped the honor. In the 2004 season, Clemens will win his seventh Cy Young in the National League with the Houston Astros.
November 15, 2001
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- MVP Ultimate Fan Package $99.00
- Busch Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00