On December 13, 1910, former major leaguer Dan McGann is found dead in a hotel room in Louisville, Kentucky, having shot himself in the chest. McGann, 39 years old, was apparently distressed over several family tragedies. A first baseman, McGann batted .300 four times and played in the 1905 World Series for John McGraw’s Giants.
The Mariners tie the 1992 franchise record for consecutive defeats by losing to the Red Sox at Fenway Park, 3-1. Seattle’s 14th straight loss results in Boston’s skipper Terry Francona’s 1,000th win as a major league manager.
July 23, 2011
The Red Sox and their ace, Josh Beckett, come to terms on a $68 million, four-year contract extension. The agreement keeps the team’s Opening Day starter in Boston along with recent free agent acquisition John Lackey, giving the club a potent 1-2 punch in the top of their rotation for the next five years.
April 5, 2010
At Yankee Stadium‚ the Yankees sweep a pair from Washington‚ 3 – 2 and 12 – 3. Leo Durocher’s bases-loaded triple in the opener gives George Pipgras (8-1) the win. Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth both slug a pair of homers in the nitecap: Lou hits his 9th in the 3rd‚ off Washington starter Milt Gaston‚ then Ruth and Gehrig hit back-to-back dingers in the 4th off Lloyd Brown. Ruth adds his 18th off Brown in the 7th. Earle Combs also homers.
May 29, 1928
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Yankee Stadium 1923 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your New York Yankees $30.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00