On July 4,1972 Denny McLain makes his National League debut in the second game of a twinbill with the Cubs, called in the 8th inning because of rain. McLain gets no decision in the 3 – 3 tie, but receives a standing ovation at the end from the crowd of 50,597. Atlanta wins the opener, 5 – 1, as Ron Reed beats Juan Pizarro. Paul Casanova’s first National League homer and Mike Lum’s three-run homer in the 7th account for four runs.
November 5, 2002
The Nationals name Diamondback coach Matt Williams as their sixth manager in team history, replacing Davey Johnson, who previously announced his retirement. The job will be the 47 year-old former All-Star third baseman’s first major league managerial stint.
October 31, 2013
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- Anaheim Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Los Angeles Angels $18.00