On January 1, 1961, Detroit’s Briggs Stadium is renamed Tiger Stadium. The ballpark which opened at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull Avenues in 1912 was originally known as Navin Field, named for team owner Frank Navin, before becoming Briggs Stadium in 1938. Briggs, who increased the ballpark’s capacity to 53,000 under his ownership by double-decking the stands in left field. Walter Briggs, was the owner of the Tigers until his death in 1952.
Join the Community