On April 25 1970, Earl Wilson nearly scores after he strikes out when Minnesota catcher Paul Ratliff, trapping a third strike, inadvertently rolls the ball to the mound instead off tagging the batter or throwing to first base. With the Twins heading to the dugout believing the inning is over, the Detroit hurler begins running the bases and is heading home when outfielder Brant Alyea retrieves the ball and throws it to shortstop Leo Cardenas covering the plate, making the right-hander go back to third, resulting in a unique 7-6-7 run-down play.
Joe Sewell of the Cleveland Indians strikes out twice in one game for the first time in his career. Washington Senators rookie Cy Warmoth is the pitcher. In a 14-year career, Sewell will have only one other multiple strikeout game.
May 13, 1923
October 3, 2012
July 22, 1934
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- Veterans Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99