From its founding in 1939 through 1973, Little League Baseball refused to let girls play, and was deeply and intransigently committed to that position until a New Jersey court decision forced them to relent only 46 years ago this week. Mike and Bill look back on the history of women and girls playing baseball prior to that decision and the suit that forced Little League Baseball to welcome girls. They are also joined by Dr. Justine Siegal (@justinebaseball) of Baseball For All to discuss her journey as a player, coach, and advocate for girls to have access to the game. Plus, happy birthday to Dwight Evans and Edgardo Alfonzo.
Yankees OF Luis Polonia is arrested in his hotel room for having sex with a 15-year-old girl. He will be sentenced to 60 days in jail after the season.
August 16, 1989
For the third straight game, the Dodgers win on a walk-off homer, and for the third straight game, it’s a rookie who hits the winning blow. After Matt Beaty and Alex Verdugo, it is Will Smith’s turn to play the hero as he launches a three-run pinch homer in the bottom of the 9th for a 6 – 3 win over the Rockies.
June 23, 2019
2004 – After 5 hours, 49 minutes and 471 pitches, the Boston Red Sox outlast the Yankees, 5 – 4, in Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. The Red Sox, down three games to none at the start of the game, stage a remarkable 9th-inning comeback just to get to extra innings, when pinch-runner Dave Roberts steals second base with Mariano Rivera on the mound before scoring the tying run on Bill Mueller’s single. Boston DH David Ortiz, who is the first player in history to hit two walk-off home runs during the postseason, completes the comeback win with 2-run shot in the bottom of the 12th. Less than 20 hours later, the teams will take the field for Game 5, the longest game in ALCS history.
October 18, 2004
At Safeco Field, Jamie Moyer, the winningest pitcher in Mariners’ history, becomes the ninth member of the team’s Hall of Fame. During his 11 seasons with Seattle, the left-hander compiled a record of 145-87 (.625), leading the franchise in wins, innings pitched (2,093), and starts (323).
August 8, 2015
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world seriesOn October 3, 1947, in the 1947 World Series @ Ebbets Field - Cookie Lavagetto of the Brooklyn Dodgers breaks up Bill Bevens’ no-hit bid with two outs in the ninth, Lavagetto pinch-hitting for Eddie Stanky, hits a two-out ninth-inning double giving the “Bums” a dramatic and unlikely 3-2 win over the New York Yankees […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971On June 2, 1971, this clip was Originally aired of Vida Blue of the Oakland A’s was in the midst of setting the baseball world on its ear when this story aired. Interviews with Blue’s mother is included as are clips of him pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Royals manager Bob Lemon and first […]
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of FameOn January 23 1962 -- Pitcher Bob Feller and infielder Jackie Robinson are elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America in their first year of eligibility. Jackie Robinson burst onto the scene in 1947, breaking baseball's color barrier and bringing the Negro leagues' electrifying style of play to the Majors. He quickly became baseball's top drawing card and a […]
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715On January 22 2021 At age 86 Hank Aaron passes away. Aaron is one of the most respected players in baseball history and on April 8 1974 he broke Babe ruth's home record. Here is the call by Vin Scully.
- New York Mets Clinch the Division TitleIn the inaugural season of divisional play, the Mets clinch the first-ever National League East title. Gary Gentry fires a four-hitter, blanking the Cardinals, 6-0, in front of a frenzied Shea Stadium crowd, which spills onto the field en masse after the game to celebrate their team's amazing accomplishment. More information about todays events, players, […]
- 1937 All Star Game Dizzy Dean takes one on the toeMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Sonny Siebert fires no hitter June 10 1966 Full Radio BroadcastOn June 10, 1966 At Cleveland Stadium Sonny Siebert pitches a no-hitter against the Washington Senators and Leon Wagner homers off loser Phil Ortega as first-place Cleveland wins, 2 – 0. The right-hander strikes out seven batters, walking only one, in his Cleveland Stadium gem. It will be the only No Hitter of the season. More information about todays events, players, ball park, date and […]
- Vin Scully on the Call May 14 1957 Dodgers vs BravesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - www.thisdayinbaseball.com Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Willie Mays Makes The Catch Game 1 1954 World SeriesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of t More information about todays events, players, ball park, date […]
- Lefty Gomez pitches the Yankess to the 1936 World TitleOctober 6, 1936 Yankees at Giants World Series Game 6 The Giants loaded the bases in the first off Lefty Gomez on a single and two walks before Mel Ott drove in two with a double, but Jake Powell's home-run after a two-out triple off Freddie Fitzsimmons tied the game in the second. Next inning, […]
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world series January 27, 2021
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971 January 24, 2021
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of Fame January 24, 2021
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715 January 22, 2021
- New York Mets Clinch the Division Title January 19, 2021
- Waite Hoyt on Babe Ruth January 17, 2021
- Ted Williams homers off Jack Fisher @ Fenway in his last at bat January 17, 2021
- Joe DiMaggio makes the defensive play of the game 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Ernie Banks hits 500th Homerun January 17, 2021
- Lou Gehrig Takes Dizzy Dean Deep 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
active 12 hours, 19 minutes ago
active 1 day, 2 hours ago
active 1 week, 5 days ago
active 1 month, 1 week ago
active 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson is named American League Rookie of the Year
- The Cubs fire their ball girl, Marla Collins, when it is revealed that she posed nude for Playboy magazine
- This Day In Baseball November
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Bob Gibson suffers a broken leg
- Boston Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn becomes the first rookie ever to be named American League Most Valuable Player
- This Day In Baseball November 26
- Steve Garvey and Don Sutton fight at Shea before a 5-4 Dodger victory
- The Boston Red Sox hire 28-year-old Theo Epstein as their new general manager
- New York Giants debut new purple plaid uniforms
- Yankees hold Joe DiMaggio Day at Yankee Stadium