On September 2, 1955, Ernie Banks of the Chicago Cubs sets a record for shortstops by hitting his 40th home run. Banks’ home run surpasses the mark of 39 homers established by Vern Stephens of the Boston Red Sox.
Mark McGwire of the Oakland A’s becomes the first rookie to hit 30 home runs before the All-Star break
July 5, 1987
Mickey Mantle hits what is believed to be the longest home run in the history of Washington’s Griffith Stadium.
April 17, 1953
July 16, 1924
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- Oakland Alameda Stadium 1968 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Oakland A's $18.00
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Braves Field 1915 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Boston Braves $18.00