On April 23, 1940, flooding of the Ohio River causes cancellation of today’s game between the Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals at Crosley Field. Weather forecasters predict that the flood’s waters will reach as high as eight feet at the ballpark. The next day’s game will also be postponed.
Lou Gehrig plays the last of 885 consecutive games at 1B. In the next game, the season’s finale, he will take Babe Ruth’s LF position.
September 27, 1930
1886 – Ed “Cannonball” Crane walks 14 and adds 5 wild pitches and an error in a 15 – 2 loss to Chicago. Formerly an OF‚ Crane has just been pressed into service as a pitcher for the last-place Nationals. He’ll emerge as a regular starter for the New York Giants next year.
September 1, 1886
Stan Musial, swinging at a fourth-inning pitch, tears a muscle and chips a bone, ending his consecutive game streak. Four days later he will pinch-run in a game suspended on July 21, officially giving him 895 consecutive games played.
August 27, 1957
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- Sicks Stadium 1969 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Seattle Rainers and Pilots $30.00
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- Exhibition Stadium 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Toronto Blue Jays $18.00
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00