ON February 4, 1963 – Mayor Robert Wagner signs a bill that officially changes the name the of the stadium being constructed in Queens to William A. Shea Municipal Stadium, honoring the New York lawyer who was instrumental in obtaining a National League team for the Big Apple… The ballpark, formerly known as Flushing Meadows Stadium, will serve as the Mets home from 1964 to 2008.
About The Author
We make your memories come to life!
April 18, 1966
April 20, 1912
The St. Louis Browns, owners of Sportsman’s Park, move to evict the St. Louis Cardinals in order to gain a rent increase.
April 1, 1949
The Twins, formerly known as the Washington Senators before moving to Minnesota, play their first home game, losing to the ‘new’ expansion Washington Senators, 5-3 in front of a crowd of 24,606 at Metropolitan Stadium. The club’s move to the North Star State will attract 1,256,723 fans, third best in the American League, and far better than their last season in the nation’s capital, where the team drew only 743,404 fans, the worst gate in the league.
April 21, 1961
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Ebbets Field 1913 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers $18.00
- Candlestick Park 1960 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Francisco Giants $18.00
- Plate Create $45.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Memorial Stadium "Legacy" 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00