On August 16, 1970 — In a 5 – 3 Montreal win over the Astros, Bob Bailey hits one of the longest home runs in Astrodome history.
The Tigers beat the Royals, 5 – 4, and when the White Sox lose to Cleveland, 6 – 4, they take sole possession of first place in the AL Central for the first time since July 24th. In the 5th inning, Alex Gordon robs Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera of a home run by catching a ball over the left field fence; the catch may turn out to be costly, as Cabrera is putting in the most serious bid for a Triple Crown since Carl Yastrzemski’s 1967 feat.
September 26, 2012
The Pirates retire uniform number 11, once worn by Paul Waner, a right fielder who hit .340 during his 15-year tenure (1926-1940) in Pittsburgh. Big Poison’s digits are the tenth to be retired in the history of the franchise and the first in a decade.
July 21, 2007
In Milwaukee, 3B Casey McGehee plays both the goat and the hero. In the top of the 6th, his drop of a routine pop fly leads to two New York runs; in the bottom of the inning, he hits his first career grand slam; in the 7th, he takes his time fielding a ground ball off the bat of Gary Sheffield, leading to an infield hit and another run; he is then removed in a double switch. Still, the Brewers bang out 19 hits, including 4 by J.J. Hardy and 3 by Jason Kendall, for a 10 – 6 win. With the loss, the Mets fall below .500.
June 29, 2009
In a 13 – 1 drubbing by the Kansas City Royals at Kauffman Stadium, Padres second baseman D’Angelo Jimenez comes in to pitch with two outs in the 7th inning. He retires the four batters he faces, but Jeff Suppanallows one run in seven innings, and Raul Ibanez uses a home run and triple to drive in four runs for the Royals.
June 30, 2002
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker get cleared for fixing games - Joe Wood tells us the storyOn January 27 1927 -- Citing accuser Dutch Leonard's refusal to appear at the hearings of January 5th, Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis issues a lengthy decision clearing Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker of any game-fixing charges. Landis orders the Philadelphia Athletics to reinstate Cobb and the Washington Senators to restore Speaker. Both are then made free agents. Philadelphia owner Connie Mack will sign Cobb on February 8th, and Speaker will sign with Washington […]
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world seriesOn October 3, 1947, in the 1947 World Series @ Ebbets Field - Cookie Lavagetto of the Brooklyn Dodgers breaks up Bill Bevens’ no-hit bid with two outs in the ninth, Lavagetto pinch-hitting for Eddie Stanky, hits a two-out ninth-inning double giving the “Bums” a dramatic and unlikely 3-2 win over the New York Yankees […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971On June 2, 1971, this clip was Originally aired of Vida Blue of the Oakland A’s was in the midst of setting the baseball world on its ear when this story aired. Interviews with Blue’s mother is included as are clips of him pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Royals manager Bob Lemon and first […]
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of FameOn January 23 1962 -- Pitcher Bob Feller and infielder Jackie Robinson are elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America in their first year of eligibility. Jackie Robinson burst onto the scene in 1947, breaking baseball's color barrier and bringing the Negro leagues' electrifying style of play to the Majors. He quickly became baseball's top drawing card and a […]
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715On January 22 2021 At age 86 Hank Aaron passes away. Aaron is one of the most respected players in baseball history and on April 8 1974 he broke Babe ruth's home record. Here is the call by Vin Scully.
- New York Mets Clinch the Division TitleIn the inaugural season of divisional play, the Mets clinch the first-ever National League East title. Gary Gentry fires a four-hitter, blanking the Cardinals, 6-0, in front of a frenzied Shea Stadium crowd, which spills onto the field en masse after the game to celebrate their team's amazing accomplishment. More information about todays events, players, […]
- 1937 All Star Game Dizzy Dean takes one on the toeMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Sonny Siebert fires no hitter June 10 1966 Full Radio BroadcastOn June 10, 1966 At Cleveland Stadium Sonny Siebert pitches a no-hitter against the Washington Senators and Leon Wagner homers off loser Phil Ortega as first-place Cleveland wins, 2 – 0. The right-hander strikes out seven batters, walking only one, in his Cleveland Stadium gem. It will be the only No Hitter of the season. More information about todays events, players, ball park, date and […]
- Vin Scully on the Call May 14 1957 Dodgers vs BravesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - www.thisdayinbaseball.com Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Willie Mays Makes The Catch Game 1 1954 World SeriesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of t More information about todays events, players, ball park, date […]
- Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker get cleared for fixing games - Joe Wood tells us the story January 27, 2021
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world series January 27, 2021
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971 January 24, 2021
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of Fame January 24, 2021
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715 January 22, 2021
- New York Mets Clinch the Division Title January 19, 2021
- Waite Hoyt on Babe Ruth January 17, 2021
- Ted Williams homers off Jack Fisher @ Fenway in his last at bat January 17, 2021
- Joe DiMaggio makes the defensive play of the game 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Ernie Banks hits 500th Homerun January 17, 2021
active 5 hours, 18 minutes ago
active 1 day, 19 hours ago
active 1 week, 6 days ago
active 1 month, 1 week ago
active 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson is named American League Rookie of the Year
- The Cubs fire their ball girl, Marla Collins, when it is revealed that she posed nude for Playboy magazine
- This Day In Baseball November
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Bob Gibson suffers a broken leg
- Boston Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn becomes the first rookie ever to be named American League Most Valuable Player
- This Day In Baseball November 26
- Steve Garvey and Don Sutton fight at Shea before a 5-4 Dodger victory
- The Boston Red Sox hire 28-year-old Theo Epstein as their new general manager
- New York Giants debut new purple plaid uniforms
- Yankees hold Joe DiMaggio Day at Yankee Stadium