On July 4,1934 In a Negro National League game, Satchel Paige pitches a 4 – 0 no-hitter for the Pittsburgh Crawfords against the Homestead Grays in Pittsburgh, with only a walk and an error spoiling a perfect game. He strikes out 17. Josh Gibson is his catcher, the only time in Negro league history in which battery-mates in a no-hitter are both members of the Hall of Fame, something which has never happened in the white majors. Legend claims that Paige then drives to Chicago to shut out the Chicago American Giants, 1 – 0, in 12 innings, giving him two shutouts in two different cities in the same day, but the claim has since been disproved. The no-hitter, however, is documented.
1981 – Catcher Bruce Bochy is dealt to the Mets for two minor leaguers. Bochy spent parts of three seasons with the Astros and is best remembered for the forearm he took from Pete Rose in Game 4 of the 1980 N.L.C.S. Later he becomes the manager for the San Diego Padres and the San Francisco Giants.
October 19, 2019
In a Tri-State League contest at Williamsport, a game with Altoona ends in the 4th inning when a bolt of lightning sets fire to the grandstand. Williamsport pitcher Rube Vickers is so stunned by the ordeal that he needs medical attention.
June 24, 1907
A few days after losing starting catcher Yasmani Grandal to the Brewers via free agency, the Dodgers move to acquire Russell Martin from the Blue Jays in return for a pair of minor leaguers. Martin had started his career with the Dodgers back in 2006.
January 11, 2019
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Oakland Alameda Stadium 1968 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Oakland A's $18.00
- Seals Stadium 1959 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the San Francisco Seals $18.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00