On August 5, 1993 — In the Padres’ 11-10 victory over the Giants, Tony Gwynn goes 6-for-7 in the 12-inning contest played at Qualcomm Stadium. The San Diego right fielder’s performance at the plate marks the fourth time this season he has collected five or more hits, tying the major league record shared by Hall of Famers Ty Cobb and Stan Musial.
Walt Terrell becomes the first pitcher in five years to homer twice in one game, belting a pair of two-run shots off Ferguson Jenkins to lead New York to a 4 – 1 win over the Cubs.
August 6, 1983
After a catcher’s interference call extends the sixth inning, Javy Lopez hits Darryl Kile’s next pitch for a three-run home run that proves to be the difference in the Braves’ 4-2 victory over Astros at Turner Field. The frame appeared to be over when Ryan Klesco grounded out to short, but he was awarded first base when his bat hit backstop Tony Eusebio’s glove.
August 28, 1997
1922 – Pitcher Jim Bagby is waived by the Cleveland Indians to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Bagby won 31 games for Cleveland in the 1920 season.
November 5, 1922
Cinci Freedom, who evaded capture for ten days after jumping a six-foot fence to avoid slaughter, is excused from her scheduled appearance in the Reds’ traditional Opening Day parade. Before the Reds’ 5-4 walk-off victory over the Cubs at Cinergy Field, the Charolais cow, after receiving a key to the city, is deemed too jumpy to participate in the Findlay Market activities.
April 1, 2002
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- Memorial Stadium "Legacy" 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00
- Exhibition Stadium 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Toronto Blue Jays $18.00
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- Busch Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00