On August 6, 1999 — Indians OF Jacob Cruz, filling in for the hobbled Kenny Lofton, tears ligaments in his right thumb and is out for the season. Tampa Bay beats the Tribe, 4 – 2.
1942 – Chicago Cub SS Lennie Merullo makes a major league record 4 errors in the 2nd inning of the nightcap against the Boston Braves. Merullo’s son is born today and is named Boots. The Cubs win, 12 – 8, after losing the first game 10 – 6.
September 13, 1942
The Los Angeles Dodgers sign free agent outfielder Andruw Jones for $36 million over two years. Jones had led the 2005 NL with 51 home runs but is coming off a disappointing 88 OPS+ in 2007. Jones will hit just 3 home runs and bat .158 for the Dodgers and be released after the season.
December 6, 2007
The San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League, infused with some major league players, complete an 11-game trip to American-occupied Japan, a tour that drew more than half a million spectators to the games played at Tokyo, Nagoya, and Osaka. Lefty O’Doul, the team’s 52 year-old skipper, who had been personally asked by General Douglas McArthur to organize the first post-war peacetime cultural exchanges between the two nations due to his warm relationship with Asian nation, will be enthusiastically greeted by the Japanese fans, including Emperor Hirohito and Prince Akihito.
October 26, 1949
Club President Walter O’Malley makes it official, announcing the Dodgers will play in Los Angeles next season. The club’s departure from Brooklyn corresponds with the massive social shift taking place in the borough that finds many of its former residents leaving for the suburbs of Long Island.
October 8, 1957
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Baker Bowl 1887 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50
- Anaheim Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Los Angeles Angels $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00