On July 31, 2017 — It’s a busy final day before the trading deadline with a dozen trades being announced. The Dodgers steal the show by landing three pitchers, Yu Darvish, Tony Cingrani and Tony Watson, in separate deals, costing them six minor league prospects and veteran OF Scott Van Slyke. The other big acquisition goes to the Yankees, who pry SP Sonny Gray from Oakland for three prospects, two of whom – Dustin Fowler and James Kaprielian – are out with injuries for the remainder of the season. Also changing teams are Brandon Kintzler, Francisco Liriano, Addison Reed and Joe Smith, among others.
Schoolboy Rowe of the Phillies pinch hits for Johnny Sain to become the first major leaguer to appear in different All-Star Games representing teams from the National League and American League. In the 1936 Mid-summer classic, the former Philadelphia A’s ace threw three innings of relief against the NL stars.
August 8, 1947
On the final day of the season in front of 23,085 fans, the Yankees stage the first Old-Timers’ Day in major league history. The team’s signature event, the brain child of general manager Larry MacPhail and public relations director Red Paterson, is held to honor an ailing Babe Ruth.
September 28, 1947
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00
- Keepsake Engraved Bats $40.00
- Exhibition Stadium 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Toronto Blue Jays $18.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Wake Up with some of the most famous bats with the lumber company mug $12.50 – $17.50