1944 – Japan, where baseball has been banned as an undesirable enemy influence, mourns the death of Eiji Sawamura. The Japanese pitcher, who is killed in action in the Pacific, became a national hero by striking out Babe Ruth in an exhibition game.
Manny Ramirez’s two home runs are Cleveland’s only hits against Kansas City pitcher Jose Rosado, but they’re enough to give the Tribe a 2 – 1 win over the Royals.
July 3, 1998
Pittsburgh’s radio station KDKA provides listeners with the first-ever broadcast of a major league game. Harold Arlin, detailing the action in the Pirates’ 8-5 victory over the Phillies at Forbes Field, becomes baseball’s first play-by-play announcer.
August 5, 1921
Cleveland beats Boston, 6 – 5, with Gid Gardner pitching his first game of the season. Jim McCormick had pitched complete games in all of Cleveland’s 31 previous National League games.
June 29, 1880
In an interleague game in Philadelphia, Rays pitcher Nathan Karns homers off Aaron Nola, who his making his major league debut. The homer comes in the 3rd inning for Karns’s first major league hit. It turns out to be the only run of the game, the first time a homer by an American League pitcher has accounted for the sole run in a 1-0 game since Milt Pappas did so for the Orioles on April 18, 1962.
July 21, 2015
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- Plate Create $45.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00