On September 14, 1990, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Ken Griffey, Sr. become the first father-and-son combination to hit back-to-back home runs. The Griffeys go deep against California Angels pitcher Kirk McCaskill in the first inning…
“In the end, I could not ignore Darryl’s past infractions and concluded that each of us must be held accountable for his or her actions. I am hopeful that he will use this time away from the game productively and will care for himself and his family.” – BUD SELIG,commissioner of baseball, commenting on his decision to suspend Darryl Strawberry. Yankee outfielder/DH Darryl Strawberry is suspended for one year after testing positive for cocaine last month. Baseball commissioner Bud Selig does not make any provision for an early return to the game of the eight-time All-Star from the suspension based on good behavior.
February 28, 2000
1960 – Bob Scheffing signs to manage the Detroit Tigers after the job is turned down by Casey Stengel.
November 21, 1960
Ozzie Smith, a 15-time All-Star shortstop, is elected to the Hall of Fame by the BBWAA in his first year of eligibility. Smith is named on 91.7 percent of the ballots. Dubbed the “Wizard of Oz” due to his remarkable defensive abilities, Smith won 13 Gold Glove Awards during his 19-year career with the San Diego Padres and St. Louis Cardinals.
January 8, 2002
1957 – Brooklyn Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley trades minor league franchises with Phil Wrigley of the Chicago Cubs. Brooklyn gives up its Ft. Worth club (Texas League) in return for the Los Angeles Angels (Pacific Coast League). In a year’s time, Brooklyn will be without a team and Los Angeles will be a major league city.
February 21, 1957
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Seattle Kingdome Past Home of Your Seattle Seahawks & Mariners $18.00
- Fenway Park 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Boston Red Sox $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00