On August 13, 1922 — Led by SS Charlie Hollocher’s three triples, the Cubs cook the Cardinals, 16 – 5. Hollocher is in the middle of his best season, and will hit .340 while leading the loop in fielding for the second straight year.
With contests played in Rockford (Illinois) and Racine (Wisconsin), the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League begins the first season of its 12-year existence. The original AAGPBL four-team circuit, which also includes the war-production cities of Kenosha (Wisconsin) and South Bend (Indiana), will attract 176,612 baseball enthusiasts during the league’s inaugural season.
May 30, 1943
The Phillies score a couple of runs in the 1st inning and then turn to Cole Hamels, who pitches a complete game, in beating the Giants, 2 – 1, outpitching Matt Cain. The Phillies have won a season-high nine consecutive games.
August 6, 2011
Boog Powell drives in six runs to lead the Orioles to an 11 – 1 win over the Twins. Boog hits a single and homer, both with the sacks full, and takes over the American League lead in ribbies with 86. Dave McNally loses his shutout on a homer by P Jim Perry.
July 26, 1970
Trading deadline acquisition Yoenis Cespedes continues to make his presence felt in the Mets line-up as he homers three times, including a grand slam, and collects 7 RBIs in a 14 – 9 win over the Rockies. He also has two other hits and drives a ball to the warning track in the 9th inning. Travis d’Arnaud and Michael Conforto also homer for New York.
August 21, 2015
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker get cleared for fixing games - Joe Wood tells us the storyOn January 27 1927 -- Citing accuser Dutch Leonard's refusal to appear at the hearings of January 5th, Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis issues a lengthy decision clearing Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker of any game-fixing charges. Landis orders the Philadelphia Athletics to reinstate Cobb and the Washington Senators to restore Speaker. Both are then made free agents. Philadelphia owner Connie Mack will sign Cobb on February 8th, and Speaker will sign with Washington […]
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world seriesOn October 3, 1947, in the 1947 World Series @ Ebbets Field - Cookie Lavagetto of the Brooklyn Dodgers breaks up Bill Bevens’ no-hit bid with two outs in the ninth, Lavagetto pinch-hitting for Eddie Stanky, hits a two-out ninth-inning double giving the “Bums” a dramatic and unlikely 3-2 win over the New York Yankees […]
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971On June 2, 1971, this clip was Originally aired of Vida Blue of the Oakland A’s was in the midst of setting the baseball world on its ear when this story aired. Interviews with Blue’s mother is included as are clips of him pitching against the Kansas City Royals. Royals manager Bob Lemon and first […]
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of FameOn January 23 1962 -- Pitcher Bob Feller and infielder Jackie Robinson are elected to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association of America in their first year of eligibility. Jackie Robinson burst onto the scene in 1947, breaking baseball's color barrier and bringing the Negro leagues' electrifying style of play to the Majors. He quickly became baseball's top drawing card and a […]
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715On January 22 2021 At age 86 Hank Aaron passes away. Aaron is one of the most respected players in baseball history and on April 8 1974 he broke Babe ruth's home record. Here is the call by Vin Scully.
- New York Mets Clinch the Division TitleIn the inaugural season of divisional play, the Mets clinch the first-ever National League East title. Gary Gentry fires a four-hitter, blanking the Cardinals, 6-0, in front of a frenzied Shea Stadium crowd, which spills onto the field en masse after the game to celebrate their team's amazing accomplishment. More information about todays events, players, […]
- 1937 All Star Game Dizzy Dean takes one on the toeMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Sonny Siebert fires no hitter June 10 1966 Full Radio BroadcastOn June 10, 1966 At Cleveland Stadium Sonny Siebert pitches a no-hitter against the Washington Senators and Leon Wagner homers off loser Phil Ortega as first-place Cleveland wins, 2 – 0. The right-hander strikes out seven batters, walking only one, in his Cleveland Stadium gem. It will be the only No Hitter of the season. More information about todays events, players, ball park, date and […]
- Vin Scully on the Call May 14 1957 Dodgers vs BravesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - www.thisdayinbaseball.com Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of todays show https://thisdayinbaseball.com/about-us/ Support this Show – Post or […]
- Willie Mays Makes The Catch Game 1 1954 World SeriesMore information about todays events, players, ball park, date and season - (www.thisdayinbaseball.com) Join our Baseball Community – Join a community of baseball fans just like you - https://thisdayinbaseball.com/join-the community Hosted by This Day In Baseball – Learn more about the hosts of t More information about todays events, players, ball park, date […]
- Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker get cleared for fixing games - Joe Wood tells us the story January 27, 2021
- Cookie Lavagetto breaks up no hitter with a walk off in the 1947 world series January 27, 2021
- Vida Blue on the CBS Evening News June 26 1971 January 24, 2021
- Jackie Robinson is elected to the Hall of Fame January 24, 2021
- RIP Hank Aaron - Vin Scully calls #715 January 22, 2021
- New York Mets Clinch the Division Title January 19, 2021
- Waite Hoyt on Babe Ruth January 17, 2021
- Ted Williams homers off Jack Fisher @ Fenway in his last at bat January 17, 2021
- Joe DiMaggio makes the defensive play of the game 1937 All Star Game January 17, 2021
- Ernie Banks hits 500th Homerun January 17, 2021
active 5 hours, 25 minutes ago
active 1 day, 19 hours ago
active 1 week, 6 days ago
active 1 month, 1 week ago
active 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages
- New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson is named American League Rookie of the Year
- The Cubs fire their ball girl, Marla Collins, when it is revealed that she posed nude for Playboy magazine
- This Day In Baseball November
- St. Louis Cardinals ace Bob Gibson suffers a broken leg
- Boston Red Sox center fielder Fred Lynn becomes the first rookie ever to be named American League Most Valuable Player
- This Day In Baseball November 26
- Steve Garvey and Don Sutton fight at Shea before a 5-4 Dodger victory
- The Boston Red Sox hire 28-year-old Theo Epstein as their new general manager
- New York Giants debut new purple plaid uniforms
- Yankees hold Joe DiMaggio Day at Yankee Stadium