On November 20, 1962, Mickey Mantle collects his third American League MVP Award. Mantle led the league in walks and slugging percentage while helping the New York Yankees to a berth in the World Series against the San Francisco Giants.
1962 – Houston gets their first doubleheader sweep when they bounce the Pirates, 10-6 and 10-3, at Forbes Field. Tied at six in the opener, catcher Hal Smith uses pitcher Bobby Tiefenauer’s glove to tag out Roberto Clemente at the plate. Smith then singles to start a four-run rally that puts the game away. The Colts tally seven runs in the first inning of the nightcap to complete the sweep.
October 19, 2019
Chicago newspaperman Arch Ward, the originator of the All-Star Game, dies at age 58 as he is leaving to cover his 22nd midseason classic.
July 9, 1955
1918 – National League secretary John Heydler is formally elected President of the league. He had been acting President since John Tener stepped down last August.
December 10, 1918
1982 – Cincinnati’s Mario Soto fans 15 Mets in a 9 – 2 victory to raise his league-leading strikeout total to 209. Soto walks none. He will finish the season with 274 strikeouts, second only to Steve Carlton’s 286. The Reds’ Cesar Cedeno steals his 500th base, just the 10th player in history to reach that level.
August 17, 1982
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Yankee Stadium 1923 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your New York Yankees $30.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- Dave Parker Special $13.50 – $19.00