On July 25, 1965, New York Mets manager Casey Stengel falls and breaks his hip after attending the Mets’ Old-Timers’ dinner. The 74-year-old Stengel will have hip replacement surgery the next day, ending his managerial career.
November 3, 1926
April 2, 1972
10/3/1966 Tigers GM James Campbell announces former Reds and Phillies skipper Mayo Smith will replace the late Chuck Dressen, the team’s manager who died in August following a heart attack. Bob Swift, a Detroit coach who had been named to fill the position on an interim basis, was unable to complete season, after being diagnosed with lung cancer.
October 3, 1966
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- MVP Ultimate Fan Package $99.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- The Visit - Every pitcher has lived through this one $21.50 – $29.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug