On January 3, 1973, the New York Yankees are sold by the Columbia Broadcasting System to a group of 17 investors, headed up by shipbuilding magnate George Steinbrenner. The purchase price is $10 million, with Steinbrenner owning 30 per cent of the franchise. At a press conference, Steinbrenner says, “We plan absentee ownership. I’ll stick to building ships.” Steinbrenner’s words will not prove to be prophetic, as “The Boss” will hire and fire numerous managers and sign big-name free agents like Reggie Jackson and Catfish Hunter.
About The Author
We make your memories come to life!
January 1, 1979
January 17, 1939
December 22, 1995
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00
- Braves Field 1915 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Boston Braves $18.00