On December 10, 1976 the Pittsburgh Pirates traded outfielder Richie Zisk and pitcher Silvio Martinez to the Chicago White Sox in exchange for pitchers Goose Gossage and Terry Forster. Martinez was a minor leaguer at the time while the other three were just one year away from free agency. By 1978 none of the four players were with their new team. Zisk hit 30 homers and drove in 101 runs for the White Sox, while Gossage pitched 133 innings in relief, posting a 1.62 ERA with 26 saves and 11 wins. Forster had a 4.43 in 33 games for the Pirates while Martinez pitched just ten games with the Sox in 1977, then was traded to the Cardinals in the off-season. He looked like a rising star by 1979 when he won 15 games as a 23-year-old, but he won just seven more Major League games.
Brett Myers, a former first-round pick of the Phillies, signs a one-year deal with an option for 2011. The 29-year-old righthander spent time as ace and closer with the Phils but is coming off hip surgery. He winds up leading the Astros with 14 wins and is rewarded with an extension through 2013.
January 12, 2010
Chicago sends outfielders Joe Carter and Mel Hall and a minor leaguer to Cleveland for pitchers Rick Sutcliffe and George Frazier and catcher Ron Hassey
June 13, 1984
February 27, 1909
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- 1984 Bless You Boys Detroit Tigers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00
- Anaheim Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Los Angeles Angels $18.00