On August 6, 1916 — Red Sox pitcher Rube Foster allows three hits in beating the Browns, 1 – 0. Most of the hitting in the game comes when Browns 3B Jimmy Austin and Boston C Pinch Thomas mix it up. The Sox end the day .002 ahead of the White Sox, but will take three out of four in Chicago to open up some room.
About The Author
Clint Hurdle becomes the second Buc skipper, joining Jim Leyland (1990, ’92), to be selected as the National League Manager of the Year by the BBWAA, after guiding the 94-68 Pirates to the Wild Card and their first winning season since 1992. The Pittsburgh pilot was named first on 25 of 30 writers’ ballots, easily out-distancing runner-ups Don Mattingly of the Dodgers and the Braves’ Fredi Gonzalez for the award.
November 12, 2013
Sherm Lollar’s 9th-inning pinch-hit grand slam, off Frank Funk, for the White Sox, crushes Cleveland, 7 – 5. It is the 5th pinch slam in the American League this season – two by the Sox – and ties the major league record. The Sox also win the second game, 9 – 8. Over the afternoon 8 home runs are hit.
July 9, 1961
At the age of 75, legendary Mariners broadcaster Dave Niehaus dies at his home after suffering a heart attack. The 2008 Ford C. Frick award recipient and Seattle’s only representative in baseball’s Hall of Fame, best known for trademark calls of “My Oh My” and “It will fly away”, called all but 101 of the 5,385 games for 34 seasons that the team has played, including the very first pitch in franchise history thrown by Diego Segui in 1977.
November 10, 2010
In the 2nd inning of game one of a doubleheader versus Detroit, the crowd sees the Senators score a run with no times at bat, the only time it’s ever happened. Chick Gandil and Merito Acosta walk; Rip Williams sacrifices, and George McBride hits a sacrifice fly, scoring Gandil, and the Tigers catch Acosta off second base when OF Bobby Veach throws to Ossie Vitt. Washington’s Walter Johnson goes on to win, 8 – 1, and snap the Tigers’ 9-game win streak.
August 22, 1915
Subscribe to our Podcast
The Daily Rewind
on Apples Podcast | Spotify | Google | StitcherAnd connect with us wherever else you listen to Podcast and hangout!
All Time Greats -
Classic Ball Parks
All Time Teams
Boston Red Sox, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants, New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs, St Louis Cardinals, search all teams
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game BroadcastUninterrupted full game broadcast of the New York Mets and the Baltimore Orioles. Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. Dave McNally shut out the Mets through five innings and helped himself with a two-run homer in the third inning. Frank Robinson homered in the inning as well, and the Orioles looked to be cruising with a […]
- Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World ChampionshipOctober 15, 1964 - Bob Gibson pitches on 2 days rest against Mel Stottlemyre a rematch from Game 2. Stottlemyre is 1 of 2 players over 9 Post Starts that was able to beat Gibson. Prior to the start of Game Seven of the 1964 World Series, Cardinals starter Bob Gibson grudgingly obliged the press by posing […]
- Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World SeriesOctober 14, 1965 - Game 7 1965 World Series. Sandy Koufax throws a 3 hit shutout on 2 days rest. After walking 2 in the 1st he tells catcher John Roseboro my arm is sore I can’t throw the curve. We’ll just blow them away.. Dodger manager Walt Alston was torn between starting Drysdale […]
- Maz Walks it off - Game 7 1960 World Series Yankees vs Pirates Full Radio Broadcast October 13October 13, 1960 -- With the World Series between the Yankees and Pirates knotted at 3 games apiece, Game 7 at Pittsburgh's cavernous Forbes Field would provide one of the most dramatic home runs in World Series history. In the top of the 9th, with a 9-7 lead, the Pirates sent eighteen game winner Bob […]
- After missing a sign Bob Robertson delivers a 3 run HR 1971 World SeriesOn October 12, 1971 The Baltimore Orioles took the first games of the World Series out scoring the Pittsburgh Pirates 16-6. Game 3 shifted to Three Rivers Stadium and with Steve Blass available, The Pirates were up 2-1 in the Bottom of the 7th as Frank Robinson had just homered to make it a one run game for the […]
- The Chairman of the Board Whitey Ford on Tops in Sports"If the World Series was on the line and I could pick one pitcher to pitch the game, I'd choose Whitey Ford every time." - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. A fierce […]
- Jackie Robinson's last hit - a walk off vs the New York YankeesOn October 9, 1956 --In a 10-inning scoreless pitching duel with both starters going all the way, Jackie Robinson's walk-off single to left in the bottom of the 10th won the game for Clem Labine and kept the Dodgers' championship hopes alive. Tough-luck loser Bob Turley gave up a 10th-inning walk to Jim Gilliam, a […]
- Game 6 1934 World Series - Paul Dean faces School Boy RoweOn October 8, 1934 At Navin Field the St Louis Cardinals Paul Dean won his second game of the series, Dean pitched a complete game 7 hitter, he will go 2-0 in his only World Series appearance. The Tiger's came into the game up 3 games to 2 and pitched ace Schoolboy Rowe who had […]
- Lew Burdette faces off vs Whitey Ford Game 5 1957 World SeriesWhitey Ford and Lew Burdette, facing each other, Game 5 was expected to be a low-scoring affair. However, the game started out with the Yankees looking to score in the first inning. After a leadoff single by Hank Bauer and a sacrifice bunt by Tony Kubek, Gil McDougald hit a line drive that turned into […]
- The Brooklyn Dodgers win their only World SeriesOn October 4, 1955, after more than half a century of futility, the Brooklyn Dodgers finally win a World Championship, thanks to Johnny Podres' 2-0 shutout of the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. The turning point of the historic contest proves to be an outstanding catch by defensive replacement Sandy Amoros in the sixth inning that […]
- Lance Berkman delivers 3 run shot in NLCS to give Astros lead in bottom 7th October 18, 2020
- October 16 1962 World Series Game 7 New York Yankees at New York Giants Ralph Terry vs Jack Sanford October 17, 2020
- Rick Wise hits a homerun and pitches a no hitter 1971 October 16, 2020
- Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game Broadcast October 16, 2020
- Final outs of the 1970 World Series - Baltimore vs Reds October 16, 2020
- September 25, 1973 - Willie Mays Night Shea Stadium October 16, 2020
- Kirk Gibson seals the World Series victory for Tigers when he homers off Goose Gossage October 16, 2020
- Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World Championship October 15, 2020
- Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World Series October 14, 2020
- Roy Oswalt works seven innings of five-hit one-run ball va Cardinals October 14, 2020