1881 – The American Association is founded in Cincinnati, OH with the motto “Liberty to All.” The members are the Brooklyn Atlantics, Cincinnati Red Stockings, Louisville Colonels, Philadelphia Athletics, Pittsburgh Alleghenys and St. Louis Brown Stockings. The Brooklyn team will be replaced by the Baltimore Orioles before the start of the first season. This AA will be considered a major league.
Cleveland’s Ben Chapman ties the modern major-league record with three triples, as Bob Feller notches his 13th victory, 4 – 2.
July 3, 1939
Hideki Matsui and the New York Yankees agree on a four-year contract worth $52 million to the Japanese outfielder. The sides faced a November 15 deadline after which Matsui would go on waivers and be prevented from rejoining New York until May 15th of next year.
November 15, 2005
In the nightcap of a doubleheader, the Indians set a major league record when 14 different players get a hit in the 26-3 rout of the Browns. The Tribe finishes with a total of 29 hits, including nine extra-base hits, in the Sportsman’s Park contest.
August 12, 1948
San Francisco Giants starter Livan Hernandez beats the San Diego Padres, 3 – 2, with relief help from Robb Nen, who strikes outs the three batters he faces. Padres outfielder Tony Gwynn collects his 3,110th hit, tying him with Dave Winfield on the all-time list. With his start today, Gwynn becomes the fifth player in National League history to spend 20+ years while playing his entire career with one team. The others are: Cap Anson (1871-1897 Cubs), Mel Ott (1926-1947 Giants), Stan Musial (1941-1944, 1946-1963 Cardinals), and Willie Stargell (1962-1982 Pirates).
April 2, 2001
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Fenway Park 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Boston Red Sox $18.00
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Ebbets Field 1913 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers $18.00
- Oriole Park at Camdon Yards 1992 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Baltimore Orioles $30.00
- Exhibition Stadium 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Toronto Blue Jays $18.00