On June 27, 2001 The Braves bump the slumping Phillies out of first place in the NL East with a 10 – 4 win over them. The Phils were 35-18 on June 1, and led the Braves by eight games before starting their tumble. Chipper Jones drives in three runs and Odalis Perez allows two earned runs.
Cubs’ slugger Sammy Sosa blasts his 40th home run to establish a National League record by reaching the plateau for the sixth consecutive season. The Chicago right fielder, who had previously been tied with Ralph Kiner and Duke Snider, needs another season of at least 40 homers to equal Babe Ruth’s major league mark of seven seasons, set from 1926 to 1932.
September 27, 2003
The San Francisco Giants defeat Houston, 10 – 2, as Barry Bonds hits his 70th home run of the season to tie the major league mark set by Mark McGwire. Rookie pitcher Wilfredo Rodriguez surrenders the historic blast.
October 4, 2001
Donald Fehr announces his retirement as head of the Major League Baseball Players Association after 25 years. He was in charge during the 1994 strike and the relative labor peace that followed. His resignation will be effective in March 2010, when the union’s general counsel, Michael Weiner, will take over.
June 22, 2009
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Sportsman's Park 1931 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the St. Louis Browns $18.00
- San Diego Stadium 1969 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your San Diego Padres $18.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- National Park 1950 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Nationals $18.00
- Crosley Field 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Cincinnati Reds $18.00