On August 9, 1906 — The Giants stop the Pirates, 6 – 0, with Christy Mathewson and George Ferguson combining for the shutout. Lefty Leifield takes the loss.
Roger Clemens, pitching in Fenway for the first time as an opponent, strikes out sixteen when the Blue Jays defeat Boston, 3-1. During the game, it appears the ‘Rocket’ is continually glaring up at Dan Duquette in the general manager’s suite.
July 12, 1997
Red Sox skipper Joe Kerrigan becomes the fourth manager to be fired during spring training. The team’s former pitching coach, who guided the club to a 17-26 record after taking over for Jimy Williams last August, had signed a multi-year contract to be Boston’s field boss with then-GM Dan Duquette, but was not favored by the new ownership that took control last month.
March 5, 2002
The Houston Astros steal seven bases, the most by any team in the majors in nearly four years, in an 8 – 5 loss to the Washington Nationals. The Astros, whose club record is eight stolen bases, last stole seven on April 13, 1999, against San Francisco. Florida was the last team in the majors to steal that many, on May 27, 2002, against the Mets. Washington third-string catcher Matt LeCroy is benched during the 7th inning after allowing the seven stolen bases and committing two errors. “If my daddy was managing this team, I’m sure he would have done the same thing”, LeCroy said.
May 25, 2006
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- 1960 Pittsburgh Pirates Maz Walkoff Win $31.50 – $39.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- Three Rivers Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00
- 10 Cent Beer Night Milwaukee County Stadium T-Shirt $18.00