On August 8, 1970 — The New York Yankees honor Casey Stengel at Old Timers Day in Yankee Stadium. Stengel’s number 37 is retired, then the Baltimore Orioles beat the Yankees, 4 – 2.
Gaylord Perry is the first 20-game winner of the year, pitching the Giants into first place with a 6 – 1 win against the Braves.
August 20, 1966
In a 7-2 loss to Chicago, Indian outfielder Tris Speaker hits his 700th career double. ‘Grey Eagle’ will establish a major league mark for two-baggers, collecting 792 during his 22-year career.
August 11, 1926
Browns’ hurler Nels Potter is banned for ten days, becoming the first pitcher ever to be suspended for throwing a spitball in the team’s 7-3 victory over the Yankees at Sportsman’s Park. The spitball, shine ball, and emery ball were outlawed by the major league’s Joint Rules Committee in 1920, which allowed the seventeen pitchers using the doctored pitches at the time to keep throwing the banned pitches legally until they retired.
July 20, 1944
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00