The New York Yankees name Joe Torre their manager, replacing the recently departed Buck Showalter. Torre, a former St. Louis Cardinals’ star and National League batting champion, will guide the Yankees to four World Championships in his first five years with the team.
Ray Knight of the Cincinnati Reds hits two home runs in the 5th inning – including a grand slam – to lead the Reds to a 15 – 4 rout of the New York Mets.
May 13, 1980
The Rays defeat the Yankees, 5 – 2, behind James Shields’ 16th win of the year, and catch the Red Sox in the American League wild card race. The Rays trailed the Red Sox by 9 games as late as September 2nd. For their part, the Sox lose, 6 – 3, to Baltimore and are a woeful 6-19 in September. In the game, Vladimir Guerrero passes Julio Franco for most hits by a player from the Dominican Republic with 2,586. Vlad hits a single off Josh Beckett as part of a four-run outburst which sinks Boston in the 6th inning.
September 26, 2011
It is announced that Richard Ravitch will step down as negotiator for the owners on December 31st. Instead, he will resign tomorrow.
December 5, 1994
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- 1984 Detroit Tiger Bless You Boys Poster $11.50 – $29.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00