The New York Yankees name Joe Torre their manager, replacing the recently departed Buck Showalter. Torre, a former St. Louis Cardinals’ star and National League batting champion, will guide the Yankees to four World Championships in his first five years with the team.
Opposing a pitcher who was born the year before he began his major league career, Roger Clemens makes his much-hyped season debut against the Twins. The ‘Rocket’, starting his 23rd major league season, is bested by Francisco Liriano, a 22 year-old pitching sensation from the Dominican Republic, when Minnesota beats the Astros, 4-2.
June 22, 2006
Zsolt Zalabai of the Óbuda Brick Factory throws the first no-hitter in the 20 years of Hungarian baseball, blanking the Trnava Angels, 4 – 0.
April 11, 2010
The Reds’ Fred Toney pitches a doubleheader, beating the Pirates, 4 – 1 and 5 – 1. He walks one and allows three hits in each game, the fewest hits allowed by any pitcher winning two games in one day.
July 1, 1917
2019 – All eyes are turned on Vladimir Guerrero Jr. who makes his major league debut with the Blue Jays against the Athletics. With his illustrious father, Vladimir Guerrero, watching from the stands, he starts the winning rally in the 9th by leading off the inning with a double off Yusmeiro Petit for his first major league hit, and is then replaced by a pinch-runner. Two outs later, Brandon Drury hits a two-run walk-off homer to give Toronto a 4 – 2 win.
April 26, 2019
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Busch Stadium 1953 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Robison Field 1893 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your St. Louis Cardinals $18.00
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- Tiger Stadium 1918 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Detroit Tigers $18.00