On July 31, 1957 — The Pirates lose to the Braves and Bob Buhl, 4 – 2. Bucs manager Bobby Bragan is ejected in the bottom of the 5th for making obscene gestures. Before he departs, he strolls onto the field sipping an orange drink through a straw and offers the umpires a drink. Two days later Bragan will be fired by the Pirates.
At Comiskey Park, Walter Johnson relieves Carl Cashion with two outs in the 8th and stops the White Sox. Johnson throws another two innings of hitless ball and drives in the winning run to give Washington an 8 – 7 win. Johnson has now won 9 out of 10 decisions against the White Sox this season.
August 5, 1912
During his induction speech at the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Cooperstown, with the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow playing in the background and a copy of The Wizard of Oz in his hands, Ozzie Smith compares his baseball career to Dorothy’s away trip from Kansas. Citing the recipe for his success during his 19-year career with the Cardinals and Padres, the 47-year-old tells the crowd he had the mind to dream, which the Scarecrow cherished, a heart to believe, which the Tin Man wanted, and courage, which the Lion lacked, in order to persevere.
July 28, 2002
1956 – New York City Mayor Robert F. Wagner and Brooklyn Borough President Frank Cashmore sponsor a bill to create a Brooklyn Sports Center Authority, which will propose building a $30 million downtown sports center.
February 5, 1956
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- Sicks Stadium 1969 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Seattle Rainers and Pilots $30.00
- Forbes Field 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Pittsburgh Pirates $18.00