On July 31, 2001 — The Red Sox acquire Expos’ reliever Ugueth Urbina for two minor league pitchers, Tomo Ohka and Rich Rundles. The hard-throwing closer was nearly traded to the Yankees earlier in the season, but a failed physical nixed the deal for the Caracas, Venezuela native.
José Abreu sets a record for most RBIs by a rookie in April when he drives in 4 runs in a 9 – 2 win over the Rays, giving him 31 ribbies for the month. He hits a two-run homer off David Price in the 6th and adds a two-run single in the 7th. The previous record was 27, by Albert Pujols in 2001. His 10th homer extends the mark he already held for most long balls. Scott Carroll is the beneficiary of all those runs, as he wins his major league debut.
April 27, 2014
As skipper of the Fort Worth Cats of the Central League, Bobby Bragan becomes the oldest person to ever manage a professional baseball game. The 87 year-old, whose one day of employment is shortened by being ejected in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes, is eight days older than Connie Mack, who managed his last game for the 1950 Philadelphia A’s.
August 16, 2005
1900 – While riding on the steps of a crowded streetcar in Philadelphia, Phils 3B Harry Wolverton is struck in the head by a pole beside the tracks, suffering a possible skull fracture. He recovers and finishes his major league career as a player-manager for the Highlanders in 1912.
September 5, 1900
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- The Hidden Fan $21.50 – $29.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- County Stadium 1970 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Milwaukee Brewers & Braves $18.00
- Baker Bowl 1887 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00