On July 31, 2001 — The Red Sox acquire Expos’ reliever Ugueth Urbina for two minor league pitchers, Tomo Ohka and Rich Rundles. The hard-throwing closer was nearly traded to the Yankees earlier in the season, but a failed physical nixed the deal for the Caracas, Venezuela native.
Irv Hall is credited with a single as his line drive winds up inside Dutch Leonard’s pants after it hits the Senators righthander in the stomach. The Washington starter may have lost the Philadelphia A’s shortstop’s batted ball, but he gets the win as Washington beats Philadelphia in the Griffith Stadium contest, 2 – 1.
August 1, 1945
Max Scherzer is named the recipient of the National League’s Cy Young Award, making the 32 year-old, who also won the award in American League award in 2013 with the Tigers, the sixth hurler in baseball history to cop the honor in both circuits. The Washington right-hander led the NL with 20 wins, compiling a major league-leading 284 strikeouts during his 228.1 innings of work for the first-place Nationals.
November 16, 2016
The Yankees take the opening game of two from the visiting Cleveland Indians, winning 12 – 0. In the second game, after trailing 6 – 5 with two out in the top of the 9th, Cleveland scores an American League record-tying nine runs, to win 14 – 6.
August 4, 1929
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- The Pittsburgh Pirates Encyclopedia: Second Edition
- The Chatty Catcher $21.50 – $29.00
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- All Star Ultimate Package $49.00