On July 31, 1978 — The Yankees stop Texas, 6 – 1, to move to 7 1/2 games behind Boston in the American League East.
Matt Clement becomes the 21st big league pitcher and the first Chicago Cubs pitcher in over a century to hit with pitches three batters in one inning to tie a major league record. The victims plucked in the 5th inning of the first game of a doubleheader against the Pirates are Bobby Hill, Jason Kendall and Craig Wilson.
May 28, 2004
The Phillies pull to within one game of the NL East-leading Braves with a 1 – 0 win over the Brewers. Cole Hamels pitches 7 scoreless innings, while the lone run scores after Shane Victorino’s fly ball drops between LF Ryan Braun and CF Lorenzo Cain for a double; the Flyin’ Hawaiian then scores on two consecutive ground ball outs. Meanwhile, the Braves drop a 6 – 1 decision to Florida as rookie Logan Morrison hits a pair of triples.
September 3, 2010
Arbitrator George Nicolau rules in favor of the Players Association saying that the 26 major league owners colluded and were aware of a databank that detailed 1987 salary offers. The owners will be forced to pay significant damages to the affected players.
July 18, 1990
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates we are family Championship remembered $31.50 – $39.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- MVP Ultimate Fan Package $99.00
- This Day In Baseball Mug