On August 1, 1970, future Hall of Famer Willie Stargell ties a major league record by piling five extra-base hits against the Atlanta Braves. Stargell’s five-hit outburst, which includes three doubles and two home runs, highlights a 20-10 win for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Stargell finishes the game with five runs and six RBI.
Reds shortstop Dave Concepcion will miss the rest of the season after fracturing the fibula of his left leg sliding into third base two days before the Midsummer Classic. The All-Star infielder hit .287 in the 89 games he played for the eventual National League Western Division winners.
July 22, 1973
U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) introduces a resolution congratulating the Red Sox on their recent World Championship, a four-game sweep of St. Louis. The team had never won the World Series during the lifetime of the 72 year-old legislator.
November 20, 2004
The Phillies hit two grand slams among their four homers on their way to a 20 – 1 rout of the Marlins. Maikel Franco and Aaron Altherr both homer with the bases loaded while Carlos Santana and Jorge Alfaro also go deep as Franco finishes with 6 RBIs. Vince Velasquez is the beneficiary of the outburst while Dillon Peters gives up 9 runs in less than 3 innings.
April 7, 2018
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Fulton County Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Atlanta Braves $18.00
- Short-Sleeve Unisex T-Shirt $33.50 – $39.50
- Griffith Stadium 1911 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Senators $18.00
- Managers do not like relief pitchers who fail $21.50 – $29.00
- Ebbets Field 1913 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers $18.00