On June 11, 1995 Yankee starting pitcher Mariano Rivera, allowing five runs on seven hits in 2.1 innings in the team’s eventual 10-7 victory over Seattle, is sent back to the minor leagues. The Bombers’ starting shortstop, a 20 year-old infielder named Derek Jeter, will also be demoted after the Bronx ballpark contest.
David Ortiz, hits his 51st and 52nd homers, breaking the Red Sox’s franchise record of 50 in a single-season, established by Jimmie Foxx in 1938. ‘Big Papi’ also breaks his own major league mark for home runs set by a DH with 45, two more than the standard he set last season.
September 21, 2006
The Cincinnati Reds host the Philadelphia Phillies in the first major league night game, winning, 2 – 1, before 25,000 fans. On the initiative of Larry MacPhail, US President Franklin D. Roosevelt throws the switch at the White House to turn on the lights. The Reds will play seven night games, one each against the other National League teams. The Phils’ Lou Chiozza is the first batter as the Reds’ Paul Derringer outduels Joe Bowman‚ though the Reds are outhit‚ 6 to 4.
May 24, 1935
The Tigers beat the Yanks‚ 10 – 4‚ in a series that features the top two hitters in the American League. Babe Ruth goes 3-for-8 against the Tigers‚ while Harry Heilmann is 5-for-10 against the Yanks. The two are neck and neck at .390 for the year. After the game‚ AL President Ban Johnson rules that Babe Ruth must give up his Sam Crawford bat‚ made for him by the future Hall of Famer. The bat is “four pieces of seasoned wood‚ carefully glued together.” On August 21st‚ Johnson rules that only one-piece bats will be allowed‚ a rule that also affects Ken Williams‚ who is using a plugged bat.
August 11, 1923
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Municipal Stadium 1955 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Kansas City A's $18.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00
- The Astrodome 1965 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Houston Astros $18.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15
- Ebbets Field 1913 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Brooklyn Dodgers $18.00