On August 8, 1946 — Bill Benswanger‚ son-in-law of Barney Dreyfuss‚ owners of the Pittsburgh Pirates since 1900‚ sells the club to a group headed by Frank McKinney and John Galbreath. Singer Bing Crosby is among investors in the team. The Pirates are purchased for a reported $2.5 million.
Van Meter, Iowa, best known for being the home of Bob Feller, and St. Marys (Martensdale) tie a national high school record established in 1928 by hitting 16 home runs in one game. Twelve different players go deep in the 17-15 contest, won by Van Meter, thanks to the wind blowing out in a small ballpark.
June 13, 2001
Ken Landreaux’s 31-game hitting streak comes to an end when he goes hitless in four at-bats in Minnesota’s 11-1 loss to Baltimore at Metropolitan Stadium. The 33 year-old outfielder’s accomplishment, the longest span in the American League since Dom DiMaggio’s 34 for the Red Sox in 1949, establishes the record for the most consecutive games with a hit in Twins history.
May 31, 1980
The Cleveland Indians obtain catcher Eddie Taubensee from the Cincinnati Reds for pitchers Jim Brower and Robert Pugmire.
November 16, 2000
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Fulton County Stadium 1966 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Atlanta Braves $18.00
- Shibe Park 1909 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Philadelphia A's $18.00
- 56: Joe Dimaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports $17.47
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- Event Page Sponsorship $10.00
- 2004 Boston Red Sox World Championship $31.50 – $39.00