On January 2, 1912, Brooklyn Dodgers president Charles Ebbets announces his intention to purchase 4.5 acres of land in the Pigtown section of Brooklyn on which a new 23,000-seat stadium. The stadium will be built with concrete and steel will be built. Construction on the ballpark will start on March 14th. Ebbets decides to name the ballpark after himself, thus it is called Ebbets Field. Completed in just over a year, opening day will be on April 9, 1913. The new ballpark, which will be the home of the Dodgers until 1957.
Join the Community