On August 9, 1971 — Despite belting six home runs – three by Bill Freehan, two by Willie Horton, one by Aurelio Rodriguez – at Fenway Park, the Tigers lose to the Red Sox, 12 – 11. The Sox have only one homer, a grand slam by Bob Montgomery. Rico Petrocelli’s pinch single with two outs in the 9th drives home the winner.
About The Author
After being thrown out at second base trying to stretch a single, New York’s Babe Ruth throws dirt in the face of umpire George Hildebrand and then goes after a fan. Ruth is ejected, and eventually fined $500 and suspended one game by American League president Ban Johnson.
May 25, 1922
The National Colored Base Ball League, the first attempt at a professional Negro League, is organized at a meeting in Baltimore, MD. Eight clubs are represented: Lord Baltimores (Baltimore), Resolutes (Boston, MA), Browns (Cincinnati, OH), Falls City (Louisville, KY), Gorhams (New York, NY), Pythians (Philadelphia, PA), Keystones (Pittsburgh, PA) and Capital City Club (Washington, DC). Two weeks after being launched, the league will fail from lack of attendance.
February 14, 1887
Bill King, former broadcaster for the Oakland Athletics, is honored posthumously as the winner of the Ford C. Frick Award for meritorious service in baseball broadcasting. The award will be bestowed as part of the 2017 Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
December 7, 2016
In a Mexican Pacific League game, OF Jeff Salazar of the Yaquis de Obregon is on second base after a steal when P Alejandro Martinez of the Aguilas de Mexicali hits him in the leg on a pick-off attempt. While, the ball rolls in to the outfield, Salazar and 2B Oswaldo Morejon begin a heated conversation that turns into a fight, which ends with Morejon delivering a knock-out punch to Salazar. With Salazar lying unconscious behind the bag, the benches clear, resulting in the ejection of both players, and six suspensions being handed out.
December 16, 2010
Subscribe to our Podcast
The Daily Rewind
on Apples Podcast | Spotify | Google | StitcherAnd connect with us wherever else you listen to Podcast and hangout!
All Time Greats -
Classic Ball Parks
All Time Teams
Boston Red Sox, Brooklyn Dodgers, New York Giants, New York Yankees, Chicago Cubs, St Louis Cardinals, search all teams
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Mickey Mantle turns 89 - Listen to him and his 500th homerunOn October 20, 1931 -- Mickey Mantle, the 'Commerce Comet', is born in Spavinaw, Oklahoma. The newborn's dad, a lead miner known as Mutt, names his son after Mickey Cochrane, not realizing the major league catcher's real name is not Mickey but Gordon. The future Yankee outfielder is glad his father was not aware of […]
- Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game BroadcastUninterrupted full game broadcast of the New York Mets and the Baltimore Orioles. Game 5 of the 1969 World Series. Dave McNally shut out the Mets through five innings and helped himself with a two-run homer in the third inning. Frank Robinson homered in the inning as well, and the Orioles looked to be cruising with a […]
- Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World ChampionshipOctober 15, 1964 - Bob Gibson pitches on 2 days rest against Mel Stottlemyre a rematch from Game 2. Stottlemyre is 1 of 2 players over 9 Post Starts that was able to beat Gibson. Prior to the start of Game Seven of the 1964 World Series, Cardinals starter Bob Gibson grudgingly obliged the press by posing […]
- Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World SeriesOctober 14, 1965 - Game 7 1965 World Series. Sandy Koufax throws a 3 hit shutout on 2 days rest. After walking 2 in the 1st he tells catcher John Roseboro my arm is sore I can’t throw the curve. We’ll just blow them away.. Dodger manager Walt Alston was torn between starting Drysdale […]
- Maz Walks it off - Game 7 1960 World Series Yankees vs Pirates Full Radio Broadcast October 13October 13, 1960 -- With the World Series between the Yankees and Pirates knotted at 3 games apiece, Game 7 at Pittsburgh's cavernous Forbes Field would provide one of the most dramatic home runs in World Series history. In the top of the 9th, with a 9-7 lead, the Pirates sent eighteen game winner Bob […]
- After missing a sign Bob Robertson delivers a 3 run HR 1971 World SeriesOn October 12, 1971 The Baltimore Orioles took the first games of the World Series out scoring the Pittsburgh Pirates 16-6. Game 3 shifted to Three Rivers Stadium and with Steve Blass available, The Pirates were up 2-1 in the Bottom of the 7th as Frank Robinson had just homered to make it a one run game for the […]
- The Chairman of the Board Whitey Ford on Tops in Sports"If the World Series was on the line and I could pick one pitcher to pitch the game, I'd choose Whitey Ford every time." - Mickey Mantle Generally considered to be the greatest starting pitcher in the history of the New York Yankees, Whitey Ford was among the premier hurlers of his time. A fierce […]
- Jackie Robinson's last hit - a walk off vs the New York YankeesOn October 9, 1956 --In a 10-inning scoreless pitching duel with both starters going all the way, Jackie Robinson's walk-off single to left in the bottom of the 10th won the game for Clem Labine and kept the Dodgers' championship hopes alive. Tough-luck loser Bob Turley gave up a 10th-inning walk to Jim Gilliam, a […]
- Game 6 1934 World Series - Paul Dean faces School Boy RoweOn October 8, 1934 At Navin Field the St Louis Cardinals Paul Dean won his second game of the series, Dean pitched a complete game 7 hitter, he will go 2-0 in his only World Series appearance. The Tiger's came into the game up 3 games to 2 and pitched ace Schoolboy Rowe who had […]
- Lew Burdette faces off vs Whitey Ford Game 5 1957 World SeriesWhitey Ford and Lew Burdette, facing each other, Game 5 was expected to be a low-scoring affair. However, the game started out with the Yankees looking to score in the first inning. After a leadoff single by Hank Bauer and a sacrifice bunt by Tony Kubek, Gil McDougald hit a line drive that turned into […]
- Mickey Mantle turns 89 - Listen to him and his 500th homerun October 20, 2020
- Lance Berkman delivers 3 run shot in NLCS to give Astros lead in bottom 7th October 18, 2020
- October 16 1962 World Series Game 7 New York Yankees at New York Giants Ralph Terry vs Jack Sanford October 17, 2020
- Rick Wise hits a homerun and pitches a no hitter 1971 October 16, 2020
- Miracle Mets Win it ALL - Full Game Broadcast October 16, 2020
- Final outs of the 1970 World Series - Baltimore vs Reds October 16, 2020
- September 25, 1973 - Willie Mays Night Shea Stadium October 16, 2020
- Kirk Gibson seals the World Series victory for Tigers when he homers off Goose Gossage October 16, 2020
- Bob Gibson wills the Cardinals to the 1964 World Championship October 15, 2020
- Koufax faces the Twins on 2 Days Rest Game 7 1965 World Series October 14, 2020