Red Sox first baseman Jimmie Foxx (.349, 50, 175), receiving 19 of 22 first-place votes, becomes the first player to win the Most Valuable Player award three times. He also won the award in 1932 and 1933 with the Philadelphia A’s. The 31 year-old slugger was also the recipient of the honor in 1932 and ’33 playing for the Philadelphia A’s.
The Chunichi Dragons win their first Japan Series in 53 years, after losing the Series in both 2004 and 2006. They beat the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters in five games. The Series MVP is 3B Norihiro Nakamura, a reclamation project coming off a bad year in the major leagues in 2005 and a bad season in Japan in 2006. No other team was interested in Nakamura’s services for 2007 and he had to battle to make the starting lineup. Game 5 is full of controversy when Chunichi manager Hiromitsu “My Way” Ochiai yanks starter Daisuke Yamai one inning away from the first perfect game (and first no-hitter) in Series history. Closer Hitoki Iwase throws a perfect 9th to make it the first combined perfect game in Nippon Pro Baseball’s 71-year history.
November 1, 2007
Billy Martin, dismissed six days ago by the Tigers, signs a multi-year contract to manage the last-place Rangers. The fiery 45 year-old skipper, who was at the helm when Detroit won the American League East title last season, replaces Whitey Herzog, who was fired yesterday after compiling a 47-91 (.341) record in the first season of his Hall of Fame managerial career.
September 8, 1973
Philadelphia’s Steve Carlton becomes the sixth major league pitcher to strike out 3,000 batters when he fans the Expos’ Tim Wallach in the first inning en route to a 6-2 complete-game victory over Montreal at Veterans Stadium. The Phillies southpaw, known simply as ‘Lefty’, becomes the first left-handed hurler to accomplish the feat.
April 29, 1981
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Metropolitan Stadium 1961 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Minnesota Twins $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Wrigley Field 1916 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Chicago Cubs $18.00
- Yankee Stadium 1923 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your New York Yankees $30.00
- Kauffman Stadium 1973 Baseball Sweatshirt Crewneck or Hoodie - Home Of Your Kansas City Royals $30.00