On August 5, 1946 — Mickey Owen quits his Mexican League team. He and Luis Olmo will ask Commissioner Happy Chandler for reinstatement in 3 days.
The Athletics set an American League record by defeating the Royals, 12 – 11, for their 20th straight win. Oakland blows an 11 – 0 lead, but scores in the bottom of the 9th for the victory.
September 4, 2002
The city of Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania declare a legal holiday to honor Philadelphia Athletics manager on Connie Mack Day at Shibe Park.
May 17, 1941
Five members of the Duluth club in the Northern League are killed, and 13 are injured in a bus-truck crash near St. Paul, MN. The injured include Mel McGaha, future National League manager, and Elmer Schoendienst, brother of the Cardinal infielder, Red Schoendienst.
July 24, 1948
Cole Hamels becomes the best paid Phillies player in history when he signs a guaranteed six-year, $144 million contract. The deal, the second richest contract for a pitcher, only behind the Yankees agreement with CC Sabathia, includes an option for a seventh season that could pay the 28 year-old southpaw as much as $162 million through 2019.
July 25, 2012
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Memorial Stadium 1954 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Baltimore Orioles $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- Oakland Alameda Stadium 1968 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Oakland A's $18.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- National Park 1950 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Washington Nationals $18.00
- Baseball in Altoona: From the Mountain City to the Curve $12.15