On July 6, 1980 – Steve Carlton (14-4) becomes the major leagues’ left-handed strikeout king, fanning seven Cardinals in a 8 – 3 Phillies win to bring his career total to 2,836. Mickey Lolich had held the record with 2,832.
About The Author
For the fifth straight season, Diamondback southpaw Randy Johnson records 300 strikeouts, breaking his own record of four consecutive years. The feat also ties the ‘Big Unit’ with Nolan Ryan, having a total of six 300 strikeout seasons.
September 9, 2002
Joe Sewell of the Cleveland Indians strikes out twice in one game for the first time in his career. Washington Senators rookie Cy Warmoth is the pitcher. In a 14-year career, Sewell will have only one other multiple strikeout game.
May 13, 1923
October 3, 2012
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Pittsburgh’s Greatest Teams
- The Greatest Game Ever Pitched: Juan Marichal, Warren Spahn, and the Pitching Duel of the Century $14.95
- Braves Field 1915 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the Boston Braves $18.00
- Player Page Sponsorship $25.00
- Oakland Alameda Stadium 1968 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Oakland A's $18.00
- Polo Grounds 1890 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the New York Giants $18.00