Todd Helton of the Colorado Rockies is named The Associated Press Player of the Year.
1980 – The Yankees trade righty Ken Clay and a player to be named later to the Rangers for 41-year-old pitcher Gaylord Perry.
August 13, 1980
The Athletics obtain Ps Jim Mecir and Todd Belitz from the Devil Rays in exchange for P Jesus Colome and a player to be named later. Mecir will fill in for the slumping Jason Isringhausen.
July 28, 2000
The Robins spoil Paul Waner Day in Pittsburgh beating the Bucs‚ 11 – 10. Waner‚ whose wedding was last night‚ collects 3 hits‚ including a double‚ and a 7-passenger car, and teammate Clyde Barnhart has 2 triples and a double‚ but it’s not enough. Brooklyn has 15 hits and scores 4 times in the 9th to give Dazzy Vance the win.
June 11, 1927
The Dodgers, who had restructured Andruw Jones’s contract earlier in the month, put their expensive center fielder on waivers rather than pursuing a trade for the five-time All-Star. The highest-paid player in the franchise history, who signed a two-year, $36.2 million deal during the 2007 offseason, was a complete bust in his one season with the team, hitting a meager .158 with just three home runs and 14 RBIs in 209 at-bats.
January 15, 2009
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- 1988 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship $31.50 – $39.00
- This one will have you in stitches $21.50 – $29.00
- Pirates By the Numbers: A Complete Team History of the Bucs By Uniform Number $14.99
- The 50 Greatest Players in Pittsburgh Pirates History $30.00
- "Then Roy Said to Mickey. . .": The Best Yankees Stories Ever Told (Best Sports Stories Ever Told) $14.10
- Dave Coverly Collection $21.50 – $29.00