On April 13, 1916 – – Babe Adams, the Pirates bellwether, pitches a one-hit 4 – 0 shutout against the Cardinals, the only safety coming when a ball squirts out of second baseman Joe Schultz’s glove. Adams will win only one more game this season, and the Pirates will release him in August. They will then re-sign him during the 1918 season
Reds pitchers Doug Capilla and Pedro Borbon combine on a one-hitter, stopping the Dodgers, 4 – 0. The only Los Angeles hit is Ron Cey’s infield single to SS with two out in the 7th. Cey is called safe on a close and disputed play at first base. Capilla is lifted with two on in the 8th.
August 9, 1977
With a 9-3 victory over the Astros at Busch Stadium, the Cardinals clinch the Central Division of the National League. An emotional on-field celebration includes Albert Pujols carrying Darryl Kile’s No. 57 jersey onto the field in tribute of the pitcher who died unexpectedly in June.
September 20, 2002
Down 3 – 0 in the 8th, the Brewers score four runs, three of them on a Danny Walton bases-loaded double, to beat the Indians, 4 – 3. Gus Gil’s single drives in the last run. The biggest crowd of the season, 44,387, is on hand for bat day, allowing Bernie Brewer to leave his perch in right field after 40 days. Bernie had vowed to stay there until the crowd topped 40,000, and when the attendance is announced, Bernie slides down his slide.
August 16, 1970
SEARCH Games, Players, Dates
Join the community
- Fenway Park 1912 Baseball Tee Shirt - Home of Your Boston Red Sox $18.00
- Veterans Stadium 1971 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Philadelphia Phillies $18.00
- The Kingdome 1977 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of Your Seattle Mariners $18.00
- Ump's getting even $21.50 – $29.00
- Boston Strong! 2013 Boston Red Sox World Championship Remembered $29.50 – $38.00
- Seals Stadium 1959 Baseball Tee Shirt - Past Home of the San Francisco Seals $18.00